Threshold Edition #1
Alice Chandler: Stem
- (Botany) the above-ground stalk (technically axis) of a vascular plant, and certain anatomically similar, below-ground organs such as rhizomes, bulbs, tubers, and corms.
- A slender supporting member of an individual part of a plant such as a flower or a leaf; also, by analogy, the shaft of a feather the stem of an apple or a cherry.
- A narrow part on certain man-made objects, such as a wine glass, a tobacco pipe, a spoon.
- Verb (used without object), stemmed, stem·ming. To arise or originate.
- From the suffixed form of PIE root *sta- ‘to stand, make or be firm.’
Alice Chandler’s new wearable edition for Threshold has been informed by a twig and leaf stem plucked from the privet hedge in her front yard.
After being carved and moulded from jeweller’s wax, the wax object has gone through the lost wax casting process, in which the wax is burned away to be replaced by metal.
An edition of 15, each piece has been cast in golden bronze, before hand-finishing, sanding and polishing. Each piece has a sterling silver brooch pin and fastening allowing the small sculpture to be worn on a sturdy coat or jumper as a piece of wearable jewellery. Or simply placed on a shelf or surface to enjoy!
The back of the sculpture features small sections of Chandler’s fingerprints, a nod towards the craft of making and the jeweller’s hands in the process.
Dimensions: 6.5cm x 9.5cm x 1.5cm
Materials: Golden bronze, sterling silver brooch pin
Edition Size: 15
Price: £95 including postage and packaging*
*If you are ordering from outside of the UK there will be an additional international shipping charge depending on your region. We will contact you after purchase to discuss shipping options.
As each piece is hand finished there may be slight variations from the image shown. Alice finishes each sculpture by hand and it may take up to two weeks to be delivered. Editions will be posted in the UK using a Royal Mail signed for service.
Bronze naturally tarnishes with time and Alice is happy to repolish the edition when needed.
Editions come with an Alice Chandler jewellery box for storage, a certificate of authenticity, and a Privet visual essay with signed risograph print.
Stem can be cast in silver upon request, please contact Alice directly regarding alternative materials.
Sales are divided equally between the artist and Threshold, where it will be used to fund future exhibitions and events.